The Bunting Product of the Month for April
A FF Drawer Magnet is one of the most versatile and widely used Magnetic Separators in the plastics industry. Companies producing plastics and plastic products use the Magnetic Separator to capture and remove problematic and potentially costly ferrous metal contamination.
Inside the FF Drawer Magnet housing are 2 or more rows of carefully spaced and highly-powered Tube Magnets. In operation, plastic beads or flakes flow under gravity through the FF Drawer Magnet and over the Tube Magnets. The Magnetic Field attracts and then holds any ferrous metal contamination, ensuring the plastic product continues through the process metal-free. Periodically, the Tube Magnets are manually cleaned of captured ferrous metal by an operator, although self-cleaning models are also available.
- Magnet type: High strength, permanent, Neodymium Iron Boron Rare Earth Magnets;
- Temperature rating: Unlike standard Rare Earth Magnets, the FF Drawer Magnets are suitable for high temperatures (up to 80 deg C). This enables the Magnets to maintain performance when positioned on or close to extruders, and injection and blow moulding machines;
- Housing construction: 11 gauge stainless steel;
- Compression load: Designed to handle symmetrical compression loads of 4,500kg;
- Drawer gasket: Ethylene Propylene Diene (EPDM) and designed to resist heat aging and compression;
- Transition connection: Both square and circular are available;
Depending on the process, there are a number of other design options available including:
- No-Spill Side Gate, which effectively switches off the product flow. When the Magnets are then removed for routine inspection or cleaning there are no concerns regarding health and safety or spillages;
- Purge Hopper, which is ideal when there is a change of the product being processed (eg colour or compound) and enables the equipment to be cleaned without the need to empty the hopper or compromising magnetic protection;
- Dump Tube, which is designed to totally empty the housing and the material hopper once a plastic run has been completed;
- Liquid Port, which is a port with dual purpose. It can hold a temperature probe but primarily it provides a means to inject liquid colour additive into resin;
- Powder Seal Kit, which limits any leaking of powdery materials by putting a compression seal around the slide gate;
Low Profile Designs
Often space is limited and headroom is at a premium. To suit such locations, the Low Profile Design of FF Drawer Magnet was introduced. The lower profile means that there is only one row of Tube Magnets, which does reduce the effectiveness of metal separation. However, one row of Tube Magnets is better than none at all. Bunting installed a number of Low Profile FF Drawer Magnets into BPI Minster Films.
A guide on the best location for both Magnetic Separators and Metal Detectors in a Plastics Production and Processing plant can be found in the blog ‘Where are Metal Separators Located in a Plastics Plant‘.
For further information, please contact the Bunting Europe technical sales team on: